Toasted Almond - still in a class all its own!
Toasted Almond, is a runaway favorite and our bestselling Fruit Tisane. What is it with this blend! If you've ever been to a Cinnabon bakery where they've just made a fresh batch of cinnamon rolls, then you will understand the very special invitation of Toasted Almond. It is apples, and cinnamon and almonds blended into a cup of warmth! Toasted Almond has a following that borders on addiction. Just listen to the reviews:
"I went on a quest to find the product to bring home. This is a feast for every sense.."
"Tastes like the holidays!"
Toasted Almond falls into the family of Fruit Tisanes. A Tisane is typically a blend of edible fruits and botanicals. Most steep a dark red as they usually have hibiscus to add color. Our Hawaiian Berry, Cherry Jubilee and South Pacific fall into this category. Toasted Almond is one of the few low acidity Tisanes. It's tell-tale pink color, when steeped, comes from, of all things, beetroot! This Tisane has only a few ingredients: Apple, chipped Almonds, Cinnamon, Beetroot pieces and flavoring. The other Tisane in our collection that is lower in acidity in our collection is Wolfberry Melon. Although it does have hibiscus and rosehips, there is an abundance of other fruits to provide a balanced naturally sweet taste.
A few items to note about Toasted Almond - remember it has almonds so avoid this if you are allergic to it. Read more about Allergens in Tea here. Second, it is naturally without caffeine. Finally, you can enjoy it hot or iced. We do not recommend adding milk. And why stop at just steeping it? Cook with it - here are our favorites for you to try.
Toasted Almond Ice Cream
1 Pint Heavy Cream
1 c. Almond Milk
3 Tbsp. Toasted Almond Tisane
1 c. Sugar or Honey
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp. Almond Extract
Pinch of Salt
1 c. slivered Toasted Almonds
1. Warm almond milk and then remove from heat. In a tea infuser or spice bag, steep the Toasted Almond Tisane for desired length of time. Remove the tisane.
2. Dissolve sugar or honey in the milk.
3. Add the salt and extract, then mix in the heavy cream.
4. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions, stirring in the slivered toasted almonds once the ice cream starts to set up.
Toasted Almond Oatmeal
1 packet of plain Instant Oatmeal, or 1 serving of old-fashioned oats
1 to 1 1/2 cups of freshly brewed Toasted Almond Tisane
dash of salt, optional
1. Brew Tisane as directed.
2. Make oatmeal according to package directions, substituting the toasted almond tisane for the water. Garnish with toasted almonds, fresh berries, brown sugar and cream if desired.
Apple Almond Bread with Cream Cheese Swirl
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. apple juice
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 tbsp. toasted almond tisane
1 egg beaten
2 c. chopped apples
3/4 c. sliced almonds, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of a 9 x 5 loaf pan with shortening; lightly flour. In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 c. of butter. Put 2 tbsp. of toasted almond fruit tisane in the melted butter, set aside to infuse for 20 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discard the fruit tisane.
2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg; blend well and set aside.
3.In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, backing powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in apple juice, tisane infused butter, vanilla and almond extract and beaten egg, until well blended. Fold in apples and 1/2 cup nuts. Spoon half of the batter into the pan, spoon cream cheese mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter and swirl batter with a knife a few times to swirl the cream cheese though the batter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of almonds over the top.
4. Bake 65 to 75 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in the center. Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely. Wrap tightly and store in refrigerator.