Jan 17, 2010 | Written by Anupa Mueller
Once again, customers went out of their way to praise one of our employees. Over the years, I've been asked repeatedly how our employees stay as long as they do and how did I get so lucky. I would like to take part of the credit - after all I do hire them! So here's what I've learned:
- Hire for attitude, teach them content.
- Choose people you like and respect.
- Ensure their values are similar to yours.
- Make sure they know what's important to you and the company.
- Have rules of the game; tell them how things are done here.
- Be open in your dealings with them - what they see should be what they get.
- Tackle issues as they occur, don't let situations fester.
- Praise often and openly.
- Tell them what they're good at.
- Give them areas to improve upon. Notice when they do.
- Have one set of rules for everyone.
- Let them know the non-negotiables. Once the line is crossed, take action immediately.