Answers to Quiz
Nov 04, 2009 | Written by Anupa Mueller
I hope all of you played along! And now, here are the answers, as promised:
- How long should you wash your hands? - 10 - 15 seconds, preferably in hot water, about 100 degrees F.
- You should store food in this order in the refrigerator, from top to bottom - Lettuce, Fish and large cuts of meat, Ground meat, Raw Poultry. Foods requiring the highest internal cooking temperature go at the bottom.
- Ground beef should be cooked to 155 degrees F by national standards. New York is a bit higher.
- Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F and this should be scrupulously followed since poultry carries many risks if undercooked.
- A hand sanitizer is not an acceptable substitute in food preparation. It is recommended as a quick substitute during the day, particularly after being in crowds, public transportation, shopping. In food prep, hand-washing is essential. A sanitizer may be used but only after hands are washed. Sanitizers should be allowed to air-dry before handling food.