Fall Bestsellers - Pumpkin & Apple Cinnamon
Pumpkin flavors are being introduced earlier and earlier each year. This year, it made its appearance in August. Walk into any Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks and there they are! No longer just in lattes, it is now in donuts, muffins, pancakes, waffles, bread and, of course, pies. We used to wait until October when the leaves actually started to turn into their brilliant yellow and gold hues, but our first inquiry this year for our Green Pumpkin Cream appeared in our inbox the middle of August! So we followed everyone’s lead and brought back these seasonal favorites early.
We welcome Fall with our bestsellers - Green Pumpkin Cream, Caramel Pumpkin Spice and Apple Cinnamon Tisane. Each is different but all bring you the taste of the season. To these, we’ve added our popular Fall Tea Box. Although Apple Cinnamon Tisane is offered all year long, the others are seasonal selections and available for a very limited time.
Green Pumpkin Cream is our Fall sleeper hit. It has a perfectly balanced and inviting aroma and taste of Pumpkin and Vanilla Cream with the added surprise of being on a Green Tea base. Light and fragrant, it’s become a customer favorite.
The Caramel Pumpkin Spice is a recent addition. It starts with a Black tea base, still the most popular of all teas, to which we’ve added Apple pieces, some Ginger root and Carrot bits, Roasted mate, Cloves, Caramel and natural flavor. It is warm and spicy. Good with a dash of steamed milk or on its own.
Apple Cinnamon Tisane is a long-time favorite and has been a welcome Fall blend with Rooibos as the base, into which we’ve blended Cinnamon, Apple, Marigold flowers and Apple & Cinnamon flavoring. This blend is caffeine free.
And if you’re looking for a simple, seasonal gift, try one of our Fall Tea Boxes. Each has two Fall-themed teas, a roll of disposable filters, a tea measuring scoop and comes packed with the distinctive feel and colors of Fall.
These are not all. The Organic Makaibari Estate Autumnal is from the season – it’s in the name! It is manufactured later in the year, in the Autumn, after the spring and summer heat and the monsoon rains. The cup is not quite as light as early-season Darjeelings and it can tolerate a spot of milk if you are so inclined.
Other seasonal blends are Citrus Spice or Turmeric Citrus Zest. Alas, we no longer have our Tea Room where we served our delicious Pumpkin Scones with Cream. But here’s the next best thing – a recipe for you to pair with your favorite tea:
Pumpkin Scone Recipe
Ingredients for Dough:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
½ tsp salt
½ cup very cold salted butter, diced or grated
¾ cup buttermilk (or milk)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients for Glaze:
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. buttermilk (or milk)
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. pumpkin purée
¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisking together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice & salt until evenly combined.
- Cut in the very cold butter using a pastry cutter or two forks cut to cut the butter evenly into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and butter is no larger than pea-sized pieces.
- Add in the wet ingredients - the pumpkin purée, milk and vanilla extract. Using a spatula, gently stir the mixture until no dry streaks remain. Do not over-mix.
- Shape the dough: Turn the dough out onto a flour-dusted surface and fold over on itself a few times until it holds together and can form a ball. (Dough may be a bit sticky, this is ok). Pat the dough down flat into an 8-inch circle. Slice the dough into 8 equal-sized pie wedges.
- Chill. Transfer the wedges to a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing them 2" apart. Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer for 15 minutes, while pre-heating oven to 425°.
- Bake. Brush the top of each scone with buttermilk (or milk). Then bake for 13-15 minutes or until the scones are lightly golden on top and cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Glaze. In small bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients until combined. Brush or drizzle the glaze on the top of the scones. Serve and enjoy!